JOIN THE COMMUNITY
Built on the foundation of its sister district, University Prep Academy, UPSM is driven by a belief that it is the responsibility of a great school district to partner with families to provide students with the tools they need to achieve success in post-secondary education. It is because of that belief that Excellent Schools Detroit ranks UPSM Middle School as the seventh highest performing middle school in the region—which includes the city of Detroit and the near ring suburbs. It is because of that belief that UPSM High School students are posting ACT/Explore and ACT/Plan scores between 15 and 16 in the 9th and 10th grades, which is comparable to what many other local schools post by a student’s 12th grade year.
OUR MODEL IS BASED ON THE FOLLOWING LEARNING PRINCIPLES:
The UPSM model is rooted in the belief that work habits and attitude matter. These are the habits of work and the habits of mind that we teach throughout the school community:
HABITS OF MIND (SPECS):
- Significance: Why is it important? Why should you care?
- Perspective: Who says? How do the author’s experiences influence the ideas presented? What prior knowledge am I bringing to the problem?
- Evidence: What argument is being made? What facts are used to support the argument? How do you know they are facts versus opinion?
- Connections: How does this work connect to the real world? How has it been influenced by the past? How could it affect the future?
- Supposition: How would life be different if this wasn’t true or never happened? What would happen if you changed part of the problem?
UPSM HABITS OF WORK (COSTS):
- TIME MANAGEMENT